Purdue University Global | BS in Cybersecurity
By earning a BS in Cybersecurity from Purdue University Global, students can develop their knowledge of the current tools and systems in this fast-growing industry. This online program is a great fit for those intending to pursue a career in IT security.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
School Offering Program:
Purdue University Global
This program is ideal for students interested in gaining real-world experience in the world of IT security. In order to enter the BS in Cybersecurity program, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent, such as a GED. Additionally, if you have completed certification exams previously, you may be able to receive credit towards your degree for passing those exams.
Prepare to meet the critical demand for cyber professionals. Learn the fundamentals of cybersecurity by applying industry-accepted and emerging practices to solve real-world security problems. Complete your degree 100% online, on your schedule.
• Program Highlights: Study security trends, industry best practices, IT security products and threats, ethical hacking, networking, Python programming, computer and digital forensics, intrusion detection, incident response, and more.
• Certifications: Earn your degree while preparing to pursue many of the critical certifications recognized by the information assurance community and for Department of Defense (DoD) personnel, as mandated by DoD Directive 8570.*
? Career Opportunities: Security policy analyst/manager, ethical hacker/penetration analyst, security architect/programmer/engineer, forensics analyst investigator, information security officer, IT auditor, application security specialist
? Choose How You Learn: The ExcelTrack™ option offers a faster and more affordable way to earn your BS in Cybersecurity degree†
? Optional Concentrations: Enhance your marketability by developing specialized knowledge in one of five areas: CISSP certification preparation*, cloud computing, data management, game development, programming and analytics, and supply chain management and logistics.
Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement.
*Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of optional certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.
† ExcelTrack™ is designed to advance your progress based on existing knowledge; however, degree pace and time and cost savings will vary by individual. Students must enroll in a minimum number of credits per term to remain eligible for financial aid. Refer to the Financial Information section of the University Catalog for additional information.
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Purdue University Global's financial aid office for more information. ‡
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for the BS in Cybersecurity:
Students in this program must take 45 core credits, 110 major credits, and 25 elective credits. Each course ranges from 2 to 6 credits. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Purdue University Global to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Core Requirements (45 credits)
- College Composition I
- College Composition II
- Communicating Professionalism
- College Algebra
- Discrete Mathematics
- 100/200-Level Arts and Humanities Requirement
- 100/200-Level Science Requirement
- 100/200-Level Social Science Requirement
Cybersecurity Major Requirements (110 credits)
- Foundations of Technical Communication
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Python Programming
- Certified Ethical Hacking I
- Networking Concepts
- Linux System Administration
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional I
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional II
- Networking with TCP/IP
- Network Security Concepts
- Introduction to Management
- Linux Security
- Routing and Switching I
- Intrusion Detection and Incidence Response
- Certified Ethical Hacking II
- Ethics in Cybersecurity
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional III
- Digital Forensics
- Information Systems Security
- Cybersecurity Policies
- Bachelor's-Level Cybersecurity Internship OR Bachelor's Capstone in Cybersecurity
Open Elective Requirements (25 credits)
Furthering Your Education:
Purdue University Global offers accelerated degrees for a Master of Science in Information Technology and a Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, both of which are good options for students looking to continue their studies. Those who earn a minimum specified undergraduate GPA can gain entry to a shortened Master's program, saving you time and money.
Master's degree options for graduates include (but are not limited to):
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management
Those who earn a degree in Cybersecurity have the opportunity to find in IT security jobs with many companies, as the field is growing quickly. Some potential jobs people with this degree might pursue are:
- Security analyst
- Security engineer
- Forensics analyst investigator
- Ethical hacker
- IT auditor
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!