York, Pennsylvania, and its surrounding areas offer students a variety of educational options: 2- and 4-year colleges and universities, technical institutes and vocational schools. To help students decide which one is best for them, data were drawn from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) concerning proximity, student populations, net prices, and graduation rates.
Closest Schools to York, Pennsylvania
You can earn at least an undergraduate degree or a certificate if you want to study within 10 miles of the city. Out of the five schools nearest York, Pennsylvania, one is a state university.
- Harrisburg Area Community College-York (5.3 miles)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State York (8.9 miles)
- York College Pennsylvania (8.9 miles)
- York County School of Technology-Adult & Continuing Education (9.6 miles)
- YTI Career Institute-York (9.6 miles)
Largest Schools Near York, Pennsylvania
Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg, a 2-year public institution, had the largest student population near York, Pennsylvania. The total number of undergraduate students in Fall 2018 was 18,081. On the contrary, other schools with large student populations in the area are predominantly 4-year private not-for-profit colleges.
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Harrisburg (88,914 students; 73,476 undergraduates)
- York College Pennsylvania (3,852 students; 3,527 undergraduates)
- Messiah College (3,276 students; 2,495 undergraduates)
- Gettysburg College (2,401 students; all undergraduates)
- Dickinson College (2,186 students; 2,180 undergraduates)
Lowest Net Price
The four traditional schools in the York area with the lowest net prices in 2020-2021 had costs ranging from more than $7,000 to about $15,000. Net price is determined by taking a school's total cost of attendance and subtracting the average amount of institutional or government aid full-time undergraduate students receive.
- York County School of Technology-Adult & Continuing Education ($10,684 for largest program)
- YTI Career Institute-York ($11,593 for largest program)
- Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg ($12,147)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State York ($24,012 for main campus)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES defines a school's overall graduation rate as the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their programs within 150% of normal time (for example, graduating from a 4-year bachelor's degree program within 6 years). In 2021, the schools with the highest graduation rates in the York area included:
- Dickinson College (82%)
- Gettysburg College (82%)
- Messiah College (77%)
- Elizabethtown College (75%)
- YTI Career Institute-York (53%)
If you are intending to study in and around York, Pennsylvania, you might want to consider the information provided by the NCES to serve as a guide when comparing and contrasting area schools.