Online Courses Related to Relational Databases
Online course topics related to this field can include the following:
- Relational Database Fundamentals: A distance learning course in relational database fundamentals generally functions as an introductory course to the topic. Most of these classes acquaint students with essential relational database features, database design, keys and normalization. Topics tend to focus on concepts related to databases such as design, issues, and special features.
- Computer Systems Architecture: This course provides an introduction to the gradual changes and updates made to computer systems design and software architectures. Students devote time to computer organization (including advanced and traditional architectures), applications development, and operating systems. Students may also examine new and ongoing developments in computer systems architecture.
- Relational Database Design: This course focuses on the fundamental concepts related to the planning and designing of relational databases. The course examines essential topics such as relational structures, normalization, entity relationship diagrams, and the transition from model to table.
- Database Security: Given that databases often hold private and sensitive information, it is imperative that they be protected from hacking and sabotage efforts. This course teaches students theoretical and practical security applications, such as concurrency control and secure transactions processing.
- Data Modeling: In this course, students learn how to create data models based on the information stored in databases. They can use this information to analyze individual elements and discern relationships between values within the database.
- Big Data: This course familiarizes students with the elements and uses of databases that store vast amounts of data. Topics included in the curriculum include the integration of big data with data warehouses and the analysis methods used to interpret big data.
Students looking to study relational database fundamentals through distance learning can find options at many universities and colleges, as well as private online schools. There are standalone courses in this field of study, some of which may be offered through a school's continuing education department. It's also common for distance learners to study relational databases as part of the curriculum in an online degree or certificate program. Majors that can include relevant coursework include information technology, computer science, Web development and database systems technology. Programs can lead to a bachelor's or a master's degree.
To enter an online undergraduate program, students generally need a high school diploma or GED. Graduate certificate and master's degree programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree, which may need to be in a related field. Online programs that include coursework in relational databases might require students to have proficiency in a certain programming language like C++.
Students who want to study relational databases can find relevant coursework within database-focused online certificate programs, as well as broader computer science degree programs. Standalone courses in topics such as Big Data and data modeling are also available online.