Online Organizational Development Courses
The following online organizational development courses are found at various scholastic institutions as part of graduate certificate and degree programs.
- Organizational Development Course: The planning and evaluation of organizational changes are explored in this essential course, which emphasizes the behavioral science theories underlying the practices. Students examine the contemporary concepts, terminology, models, methods and interventions of organizational development. They also learn about the initial inquiry and assessment process that drives the need for planned changes in an organization. The history of scholarly thought in the field is discussed, and expected future developments are also considered.
- Organizational Training Course: Students in this course examine the concepts and methods for finding, training and developing business personnel to bring about increased effectiveness within an organization's structure. The course also explores how to determine and evaluate a company's staffing needs and use this information to design and implement an appropriate training program.
- Organizational Culture Course: Organizational culture courses prepare students to diagnose and prescribe fixes to the informal social structures at play within a business organization, such as personal idiosyncrasies, group processes and office politics. The course also examines the various forms an organizational culture may take, and it explores ways to promote a harmonious business setting through incisive staff appraisals and personnel changes. The coursework often draws from disciplines such as sociology, psychology and cultural anthropology.
- Diagnosis and Intervention Course: Students in this course learn to recognize organizational performance dysfunctions and apply appropriate intervention models to correct them. Choosing the most effective intervention for any situation is emphasized in the course, and students become familiar with commonly used techniques; both interventions involving in-house staff members and those using outside consultants are considered. Advanced courses, such as this one, may require online participants to perform fieldwork conducting diagnostic assessments in an actual organizational setting.
- Leadership Development Course: Students in this course look into the processes of succession to discover how suitable candidates for key mid- and high-level leadership roles are determined and prepared. The identification and training of candidates from within an organization (rather than outside hires) is a focal point of the course. Students also learn to apply an overall team-building perspective to the search for and selection of leadership candidates.
- Organizational Behavior Course: In this course, students will learn the foundational elements of an organization including culture, leadership and motivation. The objective of the course is to educate students in theoretical management ideas that they can integrate and apply to their future organizational work. Students will also study how sociological and psychological behavior theory applies to the function and culture of organizations.
- Applied Organizational Psychology Course: This course will address the study of human behavior. Topics include leadership, how to perform in a group and attitudes when at work.
- Data Assessment Course: This course will teach students about the feedback of data in organizational development. Consulting services will also be analyzed.
Online courses in organizational development address the psychological and managerial insights needed to evaluate group attitudes, behaviors and motivations to diagnose company problems and bring about positive organizational change. Students who pursue online organizational development courses can earn a certificate of completion or a master's degree, such as a Master of Science in Human Resource Management & Development, Master of Applied Industrial/Organizational Psychology or Master of Business Administration with an organizational development emphasis. Successful graduates may find employment as management consultants and human resource professionals.
Organizational development courses are offered online through certificate programs and master's degrees. Coursework includes topics like organizational training, leadership development and organizational behavior.