Online Courses in Certified Project Management
Below are some of the online certified project management courses offered by schools and independent organizations.
- Project Management Essentials Course: This class introduces the concept of project management and presents the basic required terminology, tools, techniques, processes and procedures. This and similar courses are often the first class required in a program.
- Strategic Project Management Course: In this course project managers learn to examine projects in the context of an organization's strategic plan. The idea is to train project managers to recognize the most effective ways to align projects to a business plan, expend resources to fulfill a company's mission and quantify results against a bottom line.
- Effective Organizational Design Course: This class develops the student's ability to contribute to shaping an organization capable of achieving its objectives. Specifics examined include personnel issues and how to mitigate risk factors, maximize response time and overcome potential cultural issues. The course also demonstrates successful techniques to address changing strategies.
- PMP Exam Prep Course: This course is a comprehensive preparation for taking the PMP exam and contains a series of class modules. Courses like this are usually offered by independent organizations as part of their boot camp programs. All the material is aligned to the PMI knowledge areas, processes and terminology. The course also provides practice taking the test and techniques for successful completion.
- Converting Strategy into Action Course: This course provides updated project management techniques that apply to today's highly competitive, fast-paced business environments. Students are taught the concepts that enhance the ability to prioritize, increase efficiency, obtain consistently high performance, and the use of new tools to reduce time to project completion.
- Cost Management Course: This course will teach students about the importance of effectively managing project costs. Various theories for addressing those costs will be discussed.
- Group Behavior Course: In this course, students will focus on human relationships. How these relationships influence groups in project management will be highlighted.
Candidates can use online classes to meet some of the coursework requirements for the Project Management Institute's (PMI) credential, known as the Project Management Professional (PMP). Certified project managers can also use online classes to obtain professional development units in order to maintain their certification. Online scholastic degrees that prepare students for the project management certification include a Bachelor of Arts in Project Management or a Master of Business Administration in Project Management. Some academic institutions award certificates, such as a certificate in Project Supervision and Management or a graduate certificate in Project Management.
Independent organizations also offer training options which are typically known as 'boot camps' or similar names to highlight their intensive nature. Some universities partner with these institutions to offer classes as part of a package. Prospective enrollees may find the PMI logo on these organizations' websites, as it demonstrates their status as an official coursework provider. Certification can facilitate promotions, increase job security, lead to higher salaries and is often a requirement on job postings.
Students can study online certified project management courses via certificate programs and bachelor's and master's degree programs. Areas of study include group behavior, organizational skills and strategy into action.