List of Free Online Architecture Engineering Courses and Degree Programs
While there are many free architectural engineering courses available online, free online degree programs are not offered. Online courses may include materials like example projects and exams, though students do not receive credit for completing them.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Architectural Construction and Computation explores several different aspects of the architectural design process. For example, students will take a look at structural design, detail design, computational and legal issues. The course offers downloadable assignments and recitations.
- Architectural Design trains students in techniques like design methods, drawing and analyzing precedents. This is an undergraduate course that is designed to help students cultivate architectural ideas and aesthetic judgments. The course includes downloadable examples of projects that can help inspire students and help them learn technical skills.
- Basic Structural Design looks at the behavior of structural systems through case studies and design exercises. The course provides exams and examples of final projects.
- Dialogue in Art, Architecture, and Urbanism delves into architectural design and takes a close look at the way designers have translated different elements of an array of cities through their work. The class focuses its attention on 'planned cities', like Las Vegas, and compares them with recycled urban spaces like the Rose Kennedy Greenway. In addition to course materials, students can look at term projects completed by previous students.
- Experiencing Architecture Studio employs designs and models that use contrasting construction systems to create new places that influence the way users inhabit space. This course is specifically engineered for students who do not have a background in design. The class is meant to test the aptitude of students who are interested in architecture. Downloadable lecture notes and project examples are available.
- Introduction to Building Technology presents an overview of issues that are needed to provide a building and its occupants with psychological, physical and functional health. The course provides lecture notes, assignments, exams and descriptive images.
- The Production of Space: Art, Architecture and Urbanism in Dialogue deals with the concept of space and how it is used. Students look at the potential of art and architecture within different urban settings. The class includes video lectures and lecture notes.
- Roman Architecture is an introduction to the Roman architectural legacy and provides a comprehensive survey of classical work. The class is composed of 23 lectures.