A handful of schools are located in and around Bluefield, Virginia, that may interest aspiring college students. To help local students make an informed academic choice, we compare the traditional institutions using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Bluefield, Virginia
Students wanting to attend school near Bluefield have mostly public, but a few private, institutions to choose from. A few of the closest schools offer graduate degree programs for interested students.
- Bluefield College (located downtown)
- Wytheville Community College (23.2 miles from downtown)
- Southwest Virginia Community College (30.8 miles from downtown)
- New River Community College (34.2 miles from downtown)
- Radford University (37.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Bluefield, Virginia
The five largest schools near Bluefield are all public institutions, and include three 2-year community colleges. Overall, student population sizes in the area range from just over 100 students to over 10,000 students.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (34,683 students)
- Radford University (9,335 students)
- New River Community College (4,419 students)
- Wytheville Community College (2,514 students)
- Southwest Virginia Community College (2,373 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES figures out a school's average net price by taking the total cost for in-state, full-time undergrad students to attend, then subtracting from that the average amount of financial aid awarded. The schools in the Bluefield area have net prices ranging from just over $2,000 to just over $21,000, according to statistics taken in 2018-2019 by the NCES.
- Wytheville Community College ($2,761)
- New River Community College ($6,907)
- Southwest Virginia Community College ($8,326)
- Radford University ($14,981)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University ($18,449)
Highest Graduation Rates
The overall graduation rates calculated by the NCES look at the number of full-time undergraduate students who finished their programs within 150% of the normal time. Almost all of the rates for the Bluefield area fall below 60% for 2018.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (86% graduation rate)
- Radford University (55% graduation rate)
- Emory & Henry College (54% graduation rate)
- Southwest Virginia Community College (36% graduation rate)
- Bluefield College (34% graduation rate)
The Bluefield, VA, area offers several 2-year and 4-year schools that vary enough in location, size, price, and graduation rates that students should be able to find a school to meet their needs.